This is a long-anticipated episode with a friend and accomplished tech security professional Laura Nunnery.
She locked in from San Francisco, one of the global hubs of technological progress, to enlighten me on the (non-confidential) aspects of the threats facing the 21st century.
Who is Laura Nunnery?
If you start out on Turbotax and the Facebook team before broadening your horizons across Zuckerberg’s whole family of apps, you’re a heavy hitter from the word go.
And those were Laura’s first steps in an amazing career – she really is a leading light in the world of tech security, and she serves as a powerful role model for women who keep getting told they have a glass ceiling in the tech sector.
Her priority is making people feel safe and keeping people’s information secure.
She has played a prominent role in a wide range of tech companies in high positions, establishing powerful programs to counter hostile actions through technological means.
Takeaways from this episode
The modern world has brought with it a surprising number of ways to cause psychological and material harm to people. However, a wide range of enterprising, bleeding-edge solutions have become available alongside these troubling new methods of bullying, manipulation, and terror.
Laura is an authoritative voice in the changing communicational fabric of society. Her presence and experience on the show gives you guys a unique insight into how people are changing and how those unseen online string-pullers are also fighting to keep you safe.
The conversation I had with Laura will be fascinating for people in the tech sector and female listeners who take inspiration from powerful women who’ll have a hand in building and protecting the future.
We discussed terrorists, the possible actions of foreign governments, the future of hacking, and how to handle trolls and mob mentality. And that really was the tip of the iceberg.
Laura also dives deeper on the prevailing topics of today’s shifting tech landscape, including:
- How to protect yourself against people who abuse technology
- Examples of how cybersecurity protects people every day in very real ways
- The power of cyberbullying, and what can be done to stop it
- Talking to cyberbullies to envision product solutions
- Why blocking isn’t always the answer
- How Facebook’s complaint system really works
- The different types of cyberbully, and how to handle each
- The role machine learning plays in protecting people online
- What a person can do if they’re on the receiving end of a pile-on from multiple users
- Why fighting cyberbullying is important to her
- Whether she thinks bullying is part of building a personality
- Tackling suicide risk and the threat of self-harm on social media
- The dangers of foreign governments meddling with data and social engineering
- How to spot a fake propaganda account
- The ways that terrorists recruit through social media
- And much, much more…
This show has a regular roll call of heavy hitters and inspirational people, but Laura’s up there with the best of them. She’s truly acting for the greater good and trying to bring more civility and transparency to the web.
I hope you enjoy spending the time spent listening to her viewpoint as much as I did.
For more powerful insight, inspiration, and interviews, get involved with my YouTube channel and subscribe today.